Sunday, June 26, 2005

The mysteries of short row shoulders

A frustrating, but ultimately successful knitting day. I decided that it was about time that I learned a 3 needle bind off as I dislike sewing shoulder seams. I had already cast off the body pieces for Jasmine a while ago with horrible stair-like steps. Having suceeded on the sleeves to work out how to improve on the "steppy-ness" of the stairs, I wanted to make the shoulders neater too.The no stair sleeve
In order to do this I needed to rip back the fronts and back, to before the shoulder shaping. I have never been at ease with ripping knitting back. It has always been a bit nerve-racking watching the yarn pull out and I have never quite trusted that fact that I could get all the stitches back on a needle. Today was to give me a lot of experience!

Short-rows on the two front pieces were a breeze, and I followed the tutorial that nona had so kindly written. It was when I wanted to use short-rows to shape the back shoulders and neckline that I became unstuck. I must have ripped out the same few rows at least 5 times trying to work out what I needed to do. I am still not sure that I managed to get exactly what I needed, but I ended up with two lots of 19 stitches on each shoulder to bind off. It was a fantastic feeling watching that perfect looking seam appear just by knitting two needle-fulls of stitches together! Although the photo does not do the beauty of it justice!Three needle bind-off seam
The button bands followed this evening:
Jasmine

1 Comments:

Anonymous nona said...

Congratulations on winning your short row battle -- isn't it like magic when it finally works. Your sweater looks beautiful!

9:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home